For all of the following, sit with good posture, shoulders relaxed and back, chest out and imagine a piece of string holding you up from the crown of your head. Think about your neck and jaw being relaxed. Perform all the moves in a gentle, slow and controlled manner. The more you do these moves the easier they should feel each time you perform them.
CHIN RETRACTION – MAKE A DOUBLE CHIN
- Pull your chin back as if making a double chin. Hold this retracted position for a few seconds, then return to your starting position. Repeat a few times.
- Do ensure your chin remains level, imagine sliding your chin backwards on a table. Don’t let your chin drop down.
SIDE BEND – LATERAL FLEXION:
- Move your left ear towards your left shoulder – this is a smaller amount of movement compared to the above move, so don’t force any movement. Hold this position for a few seconds. Bring your head back up and repeat to the right. Repeat on each side.
- Do ensure you keep your head pointing forwards. Don’t let your shoulders rise up for forwards. Reduce the amount of movement if this happens.
- When bringing left ear to your left shoulder you can use your left hand on the top of your head to encourage the side bend – do not pull on your head. When repeating on the right side use your right hand on the top of your head.
SIDE TO SIDE ROTATION:
- Turn your head to look to the left over your left shoulder as far as you can comfortably go and hold this position for a few seconds. Turn back to the centre and repeat to the right. Repeat on each side.
- Do keep your chin level. Don’t let your shoulders rise up or forwards. Reduce the amount of movement if this happens.
- When turning to the left you can use your left hand on your chin to encourage the rotation – do not pull on your chin. When turning to the right use your right hand on your chin.
- For a variation, when you turn your head to the left, drop you right arm down and let it hang heavy. This should increase the stretch you feel in your neck. When turning to the right let your left arm hang down.