This is a great exercise to help improve our ability to hinge from the hips and not overload the low back. It also aims to strengthen your glutes and hamstrings which are important for good hip and lower back health.
- Using some light weight to begin with, holding them in each hand, slowly slide your hands down the front of your thighs to wards you knees.
- You should allow your hips and bottom to push backwards as you lean forwards.
- Try to maintain a straight spine from top to bottom.
- You can allow your knees to very slightly bend.
- You want to feel a very gentle stretch start into your hamstrings (back of thighs). When you get to a comfortable point return to standing by squeezing your glutes to push your hips forwards and under you.
Try not to pull yourself back to standing by arching your back!